Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Love begets love

Yes, God cares.

I started this day out early and after very little sleep. I was worried and concerned about all the deadlines of the day. I knew how much I had to get done and I had doubts that it could all be completed. I've had little sleep throughout this week so far and didn't know if I could survive this day! Yes, I happen to know I live to the flare of the dramatic, but still - even if I did survive the day, it would certainly be a day of drudgery. So, as per usual I drove to work and tried to lose my thoughts in the radio. On my way to work, I was stopped for a few minutes, so I silenced the radio and said a quick, but sincere prayer asking Him to help me. I told Him that I couldn't do it without His help.

Well, I survived the day. As a matter of fact, I had a good day. I even helped a co-worker out when I selfishly wanted to focus on my needs. I finished all the necessary deadlines. I recall at some point singing a song that focused on God, but my thoughts weren't on Him all day. My thoughts were on accomplishing my enormous tasks at hand!

But as I was sitting here, I realized that God was with me all day, helping me along and encouraging me and giving me exactly what I needed. I didn't save the world today. I didn't save anyone else's world either. I accomplished no feat of greatness, nothing that I see that will affect eternity. But, God was with me. He helped me and He gave me a great day. He allowed me to honor the commitments I've made to the organization I serve.

Not everyday is like this of course, but I know that this morning God heard my prayer, and He answered because it was in His good pleasure to do so. I didn't accomplish anything today, He did. He didn't have to. He does not answer to me; I answer to Him. But He is good, loving, and He provided. Thanksgiving arises in my heart. Thank you Lord!

I have to admit, this causes questions to rise within me as well. Why does He bother? I often am troubled when I find myself praying for things that don't matter to me or shouldn't matter. (Small things - worries, minor inconveniences, and the like) I get distressed when people give me prayer requests that I deem unnecessary. (terrible, isn't it?!) But...still. Isn't God about His business? My day at work doesn't seem to fall under that category.

Asking why God does what He does isn't always the most productive question. God is way bigger than we are. But I can ask myself or anyone reading - what does this show us about God's character? What does this show us about His love and provision?

My first thought goes to the image of a young parent joyfully giving their child a toy. Is it necessary? No. But it make the child happy, which in turn warms the heart of the parent. I think God just likes to give good gifts. Our lives are ALL About Him. Nothing else matters. But, He created us and knows that other things bear significance to us.

My second thought goes to the image of a romantic couple getting to know one another. What one individual cares about, the other individual naturally wants to know more about it. We as humans care about what people we love care about. It's pretty natural. Sometimes we don't have the same interest, but we support their interest. I think God enjoys seeing what we care about and helping us along.

Maybe it all seems foolish, but this whole thought process is making me realize that God loves me! Yes, He really does! He loves me enough to give me a good day, to help when help is needed, and to do all sorts of other unnecessary things. I mean, I knew He DIED for me, but He loves me! He really does!! I think he even might like me!

This is why we can be EXACTLY who we are before Him. He knows all about us and He loves us! I think overtime, God reveals to us the things that really matter and always is molding us more into the image of His Son but He still loves our humanity. (I am NOT taking away the fact that without Christ we are worthless worms deserving death and eternal separation from God.) However, with Christ and that forgiveness - God opens that door to have a relationship with us. Human beings were God's idea as was the rest of creation! We also have a purpose and a calling, but I think first and foremost, we are beloved of God.

But knowing how much God loves me, draws my heart towards His. And as I understand God's love for me, I long to care and passionately pursue the very things He's passionate for! No longer am I operating under fear of punishment or fear of His displeasure, but I find myself desiring to do His will because He has caused my heart to desire Him. What joy is found when men are freed to love abundantly and freely.

So never be afraid to be who you really are to God. He doesn't just want the spiritual side of you - He wants ALL of you. But don't be surprised that as you allow Him access to who you really are and what you care about if He draws you to care about the things that touch His heart.

He loves you and His perfect love will birth a love within you for Him and others!

No comments:

Post a Comment