Saturday, June 12, 2010

More thoughts on death

So often my mind is willing to embrace death as the final act. I'm a bit morbid, I'll admit and there have been various occasions where a clean jump off a cliff seems like an excellent idea. But that is embracing death as an ESCAPE. An escape from the troubles and problems of life. An escape from the emotions and feelings that threaten to haunt every action and decision I make.

There is no honor or integrity when death for the sole purpose of escape is sought out.

But then when I continue to ponder the death that Jesus spoke of, I realize that there is so much more to it than escape. Pursuing the death of self is about self-denial, love towards others, and the death of personal pride. The death of self is about walking for Christ and the betterment of others as opposed to myself.

Walking out a life (in death) is extraordinarily difficult but extremely worthwhile. For as you cease pursuit of selfish desires you open yourself up to love and sacrifice. The true way of our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment