Monday, January 19, 2015

Fiddler

My friend Holly is a remarkably talented musician, teacher, and musical director.  Recently, Richard and I went to go see her latest task - directing the Peawaukee middle schooler's in their production of Fiddler on the Roof.  

This happens to be Richard's favorite musical and I very much enjoy it too.  So besides cheering on Holly's latest achievement, seeing the kids give it their all which is always fun, we also can't ignore a chance to see the show.  

It got me thinking this time though.  The song, Sunrise, Sunset made me reflect on our own marriage. Specifically the lines by Tevye and Golde:
"What words of wisdom can I give them,How can I help to ease their way? Now they must learn from one another, day by day."
There is a lot of truth to that statement for every couple.  We are blessed with wonderful family and wonderful friends but day by day we care for one another.  It's beautiful, messy, sometimes complicated, but forever and always worth it.  We've grown in pointing the other to Christ and understanding better when to help or stand back.  I'm sure we will continue to grow in it as there is always more to learn!  But I wouldn't trade this man for anything. 

Until next time, I'll be here grateful and ever learning what sacrificial love looks like lived out.

No comments:

Post a Comment